Ongoing education is a key aspect of being a foster parent. Below, you’ll find links to information to begin your foster parent journey including the state’s foster parent handbook, pre-placement training, and organizations that support foster parents throughout Wisconsin.
There’s also information on trauma and trauma-informed care. Understanding trauma is a key role of foster parenting. Many of our children are impacted by trauma, and trauma-informed care equips our staff and foster parents with tools to meet a child’s needs effectively. We hope you will take the time to learn more about this as well.
Foster Parenting & Training
- Department of Children & Families: Foster Parent Handbook
- Foster Parent Pre-Placement Training
- Foster Care and Adoption Resource Center
- Coalition for Children, Youth & Families
- WI Foster & Adoptive Parent Association
Trauma Informed Care & Adverse Childhood Experiences
- Department of Health Services: Trauma-Informed Care
- SAMHSA: National Center for Trauma-Informed Care
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Child Welfare Information Gateway: Trauma-Informed Practice
- ACE (Adverse Childhood Experiences) Study
- Trust-Based Relational Intervention®